Thursday 12 April 2012

Art is my friend, demon, and obsession!

A friend of mine had this status update this week: "Art is what drives my day- I see pictures everywhere. Art is the friend, the demon, the obsession, that lives in my head."


Deb proceeded to talk about how if you are not a visual person you may not understand how a visual person works. I know for myself it is easy to explain but I doubt someone could feel the same feelings of intensity I might feel and the massive pull to go and create something when it appears.

These pulls can be anywhere at any time, and today I just walking out the door of Fortnum and Mason's in London today I looked up and saw the torch you see to the left and had to capture it!

Very often my major inspiration comes from music videos, I could sit for hours and watch well put together music videos which have had fantastic stylists work on the singers, or talented designers and writers create cracking sets and storylines. Watching Lana Del Rey's videos is like heaven to me!

I watched picking up the pieces by Paloma Faith today, and the way my mind works is that with certain shots my mind freezes the video and I see the image I want to replicate and adapt. I get the massive urge to go and create it. Unfortunately life gets in the way a lot of the time, if you are at work for example, I can't just set up my easel over my computer haha.

To combat some of the lost creativity I take a lot of photography and like my Opa (German grandfather) I carry a camera everywhere with me. My eyes are constantly searching for the next photo composition. I have to go take photos, even today in work I took a photo of the skylight above me, I love seeing the changing colours and the water droplets on it when it rains. Who would take a photo of a skylight you say, well me! I see something I want to capture, and so I do.

Art is my dynamo, it drives me, but it also consumes me and I battle against it as well. I have urges to create, but getting the desired outcome can be frustrating if it doesn't work out how I imagine, or in some cases there just isn't the time, or I don't make the time because I am tired. I have noticed I become frustrated and I would almost say unhappy when I do not create, it is as if something inside me has to be let out.

Then there is the decision of; "oh my lord there is sooo much I want to create, what do I do first?"

I have taken a break from drawing while I settled into my internship and found somewhere to live, but now I am raring to get back into it. Excitttting, I feel a slight change in direction, I have bought new paper, and also some mounting board for a bigger project. I think it's time to grow my style in original works as well as my adaptations of celebrity pictures.

See you soon guys :)
Jonny

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jonny, I am touched and amazed! I <3 U!!

    It is nice to know others see the world as I do! And you MUST start doing your own originals! It will happen, I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You're a good 'un Deb :)

    PArt of it was cost, part of it was storage, for what I want to do, but i have found cheap ways now and sod the storage :P

    I have a fair few originals from my my first and second year of uni, but nothing wow, to be explored i sayyy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand... I'm visual as well, and carry my camera everywhere, nearly. I take pictures of things most people think are common. The digital camera makes my life so much easier because I can take all the photos I want, save them on the computer, work with composition, and not print out a single print unless I want to add it to my visual journal. I'm not a photographer, by no means, but love capturing the moment, and writing about it. Keep taking pictures, Jonny! (I'm a friend of Deb's!! saw the link to your blog on her FB page)Creating happens in stages... don't fret... it will come to you at unexpected times and in unexpected places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bea :) Exactly, the digital camera sure is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete